- I just like learning things for the sake of learning.
- Yes, I was that horrible kid that took apart stuff and forgot how to put it back and got a smacking for it. Although these days, I take detailed notes because it's really hard on my wallet to keep replacing items. :)
- I wanted to make my home "smart"
- So I'm thinking of Raspberry Pi + Arduino + various sensors and perhaps actuators.
- I am a sucker for zen-like and minimalist aesthetics
- Of the many linux distros I looked at, Elementary OS turns my head. It's been said that other distros allow the user more control, but as I'm still starting out, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Oh, and compared to Windows ... Elementary OS flies ... on the same hardware.
1. Formating the MicroSD Card
Here 's an excellent post on this, How to format hard disk, USB flash drive, and SD cards in elementary OS / Ubuntu illustrating two methods: using GParted (FOSS) and from the Terminal.
2. Understanding Linux
- General Overview of Linux File System
- Introduction to Linux
Finally, I've managed to format my micro SD card using the linux terminal commands and copied NOOBS into it.
Various screens during the install process.
Then after that, we'll get to the reason why I'm messing around with the Pi 2 ... to create a Smart Home system!